After reading the second part of How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents, I noticed lots of struggles that Garcia girls were going while they were adjusting to the environment around them. It seems as if all the girls are going through the same turning point. In a way, they go through a point in the story where they experience innocence. They would be stuck through confusion and left clueless about their surroundings. The second part of the story really explains what happened when they moved to America and the event that occur as times goes by.
One of the struggles that I noticed between the Garcia Girls is the struggle with their English. In the third vignette, "Trespass", Carla struggles with English; it act as a wall between her and the situations that she faces. In this vignette, Carla is disturbed by the boys around her and was almost harassed. They would tease her for her looks and her English pronunciation. Even though Carla would ask them to stop their abuse, Carla lacks the English to protest and defend herself from them. She wasn't even able to tell the police what she has seen happen, which leaves her unprotected and isolated from her community. It seems as if English has grabbed her away from the world which she is not able to so anything. In this vignette, Carla also goes through this moment where she kind of loses her innocence to her surroundings and situations that she surpasses.
In this story, I think the males have a lot of domination over the females. In this period of time, I think that makes still holds the power and they still control the females around. An example from the story would be that Yolanda's father teared up her speech because he thinks that it would be a disgrace to his family and that she wasn't ready to do it yet. Another example would be how Manual controls over Sofia and doesn't allow her to do anything. I think the father takes a lot of control over his family and tells what they should do and should not do.
This thought came up as I start to notice the Garcia Girl's reaction toward a new community. I think when we all move to a certain place, we would feel that we would not belong. Mostly people will feel lost and insecure about their safety. This was how the Garcia Girls felt. I think I am starting to understand their reactions and life in America as I have experienced this before in my life. There were struggles adjusting to the surrounding around me, but it took a long time for me to feel like it was home again. I think that the culture shock that the Garcia Girls go through leads into many struggles. I hope that I would discover the answers to this story and have a full understanding of it as I finished the last section of the book.
No comments:
Post a Comment